On several sites there are postings about tools you could have on you SharePoint development VPC. That’s why I thought lets post what I have got on my development VPC. If you do not have a Virtual PC with SharePoint you can take a look at the following posts of Tony Zink. He made 20 posts for making your own VPC with SharePoint (I made my VPC with that article):
How to Create a MOSS 2007 VPC Image, The whole nine yards
In the article you will see that you have to run windows update so that you have all the current updates available for windows 2003. I mainly work in an environment where I can’t access windows update, when you are also in an environment like this you can try: Autopatcher
If you have you SharePoint VPC some useful tools can be installed on it to make development much easier:
- SharePoint Server SDK: SharePoint Software Development Kit.
- Windows SharePoint services SDK: WSS Software Development Kit.
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Tools: Visual Studio 2005 Extensions: Extension for Visual Studio 2005 with Web part and Site Templates Templates.
- U2U Caml Creator: Useful tool for creating Caml Queries.
- SPDisposeCheck : Checking tool for checking if you do not have a memory leak in your code.
- MOSS Feature Generator: Useful tool for generation of features.
- Visual Studio 2005 extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (Windows Workflow Foundation): Extension for Visual studio 2005 for working with Workflows.
- .STP Language convertor: Convertor of STP files if you want to deploy you STP files on another language version of SharePoint.